Sunday 15 September 2013

The Girl with the Glass Feet

I have recently been reading a book named "the Girl with the Glass Feet" by Ali Shaw, and since finishing, have decided that it is the warm-milk-by-the-fire of books, and to be added to my short list of very favourites. It is rare, for me, to find a book that is so perfectly suited to my taste, so when we were asked to write book reviews for school, I thought I would share mine with you, in an attempt to persuade some of you to pick it up and get the enjoyment I did (it's a great book). :)


The Girl with the Glass Feet is an enthralling story set on the magical and mysterious island, St Hauda’s Land, where pure white creatures conceal themselves in deep snow, curious winged cattle flutter amongst icy woods, and Ida McLaird is slowly turning to glass. 

Midas Crook is a young photographer, whose mind is haunted by his father’s suicide. He loves to look at the world, as if through a camera lens, but has forgotten about feeling and experiencing it. The idea of love seems to linger in his brain, but never truly come alive. That is until he meets Ida, and is immediately intrigued by her monochrome features and somehow sad spirit. Together, the two of them search the peculiar island for a cure, and as the glass steadily creeps up Ida’s legs, she slowly manages to soften some of the ice is Midas’s heart, and they begin to fall in love.

This book combines the genre of a modern-day fairytale with eerie horror. The wintery island that is drained of colour and tragic circumstances of the the characters create a gloomy atmosphere, but this only accentuates the glowing spark between Ida and Midas during their bitter-sweet love story. 

I would highly recommend this novel. It is vividly described, managing to transport you into the magical and surreal world that Shaw has created. On top of this, I thought it was beautifully executed and immaculately paced, and is destined to become the crumpled, coffee-stained comfort novel that is always laying on your bedside table. 

4 comments:

  1. eee yayayay book reviews thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book seems to be extremely interesting, I'm going to look for it soon, but I'm not sure if it's possible to get in in Poland, where I live (hopefully yes). Lovely review and lovely blog :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I read this earlier this year (it was a birthday present) and I loved it oh so much. :) The ending was beautiful, wasn't it?

    I'm kinda obsessed with these kind of books, so if you want some recommendations for similar books, The Night Circus, The Snow Child, Daughter of Smoke and Bone and The Ocean at the Lane are all beautiful (especially The Night Circus!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok so your probably never going to read this seen as this post went up 2 years ago but I love your videos and your blog so I nominated you for the "Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award"

    Check out my blogpost for more information and let me know if you do it x

    http://curiousalice21.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete